Raspberry Liqueur – Make Chambord

March 1, 2008 at 12:00 pm 15 comments

Why go out and buy Chambord when you can make your own at a fraction of the cost?
I whipped up some liqueur a couple of days ago. I got the idea from the compleat Meadmaker (Ken Schramm). He uses it to add to meads to make melomels or adjust them by adding this good stuff. It is also just good by itself and for aging. It’s really simple and better than Chambord:

Raspberry Euphoria

A fifth of vodka (cheap and tasteless)
2 cups sugar
~3 cups raspberries

I just mixed that all up in a plastic container I got honey in and am letting it sit. The first couple of days, you want to mix it up a bit just to make sure the sugar gets mixed in, but after that you just let it sit for 3-4 months and extract all of the goodness out of the berries. Then you strain the liqueur and bottle it or use it or whatever you want to do. I just tasted some after 3 days and it is already quite wonderful! I wonder if it will make it to 3 months…

About these ads

Entry filed under: Batches. Tags: , , , , , .

006, Alex’s Hard Lemonade (Better Name Pending) How To: Hot Liquor Tank Fly Sparge

15 Comments Add your own

• 1. MP  |  May 21, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Where did you get this idea? what about all the ingredients being stable? My question is would it spoil? Do you add any preservatives? I don’t know anything about making/fermenting alcohol so I’m curious. Nice easy recipe though.

• 2. Carrie  |  May 5, 2009 at 10:09 am

No, the berries will not spoil and you don’t need any extra preservative because vodka kills just about anything living (it’s not really good for people either in large doses). I’ve made lots of liquors, mostly with herbs, though. Just siphon the clear liquid off of the sediment and you’re good to go!
    The sediment is extremely potent, I’ve heard, but I just haven’t been able to get over the “ick factor” and try it.

• 3. kelly  |  August 18, 2009 at 3:06 am

fab recipie am off to try it now!!!

• 4. Demi Antzoulatos  |  March 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

Hey, so my best friend LOVES french martinis (made with chambord) and I wanted to make her some from scratch. I looked on the Chambord website and they said that it had blackberries, rasberries, vanilla, orange peel, honey and cognac. They steep it in alcohol twice and then blend all the ingredients to taste. I want to get this right, so i am thinking about using your recipe and then adding the other ingredients after I am done infusing the berries.

Do you have any suggestions for adding things like honey instead of sugar, and when to add the cognac, vanilla and orange peel?

Any help would be much appreciated and I will tell you what I do and how it worked out.

Thanks,
    Demi

• 5. Alex  |  March 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Very cool, I like where this is heading! I had never heard that description of Chambord, but it sounds even more delicious than what I made.

As for the practicalities, I think that I would add the sugars (honey or table sugar or a mixture of both), blackberries, raspberries and liquor (vodka or cognac or a mixture of both) together and let that sit for a month or two. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting that to meld together, but you may have to mix it up once a day for a week or so. After that I would strain all the berry pulp out and then put in the orange peel and vanilla (I would do a real vanilla bean!). I would guess that those would only take a week or two to infuse nicely, but be sure and take a sip every few days and strain out the orange and vanilla when you are satisfied with the taste!

Best of luck and please do share your results!

I’m going to have to give this a try as well…

• 6. PassTheRed  |  July 25, 2011 at 7:47 am

Did you make this version yet? If so, can you share the recipe?

• 7. Suzanne  |  September 17, 2010 at 10:06 am

Wow, I just made some great coffee and chocolate liqueurs from a 40 year old recipe my Aunt gave me and was looking for a recipe for Chambord. I found your recipe and would really like to know if you or Alex made it using the honey, blackberries ans orange yet? What were the results?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Chambord and want to give it a try. I think that if you add orange peel it could be added at the start, but I hope you have tried the rest of the ideas in your previous tests.

Intrigued and hoping….

Suzanne

• 8. carol  |  January 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Ihave made rasperry liquer using the same simple recipe as Alex but my method was to put the raspberries vodka and sugar into a glass jar with a seal and each day for a month I shook the mixture to mix. I then strained and bottled the liquid; it was very delicious.

• 9. PassTheRed  |  July 25, 2011 at 7:42 am

Do you need to keep the liqueur refridgerated?

• 10. Alex  |  July 27, 2011 at 9:18 am

No, the high alcohol content negates the need for refrigeration. I have had a batch for about 2 years now that is sitting in the liquor cabinet and tastes great. I have not made another batch yet because I have not ran out of this one! I guess I should drink more…

• 11. Demi Antz  |  September 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Hi everyone, I did make it and it turned out perfect. Unfortunately I lost the the recipe but I did add the raspberries and vodka as described above, and then added some orange peel (i think 1 orange for a large batch) and a vanilla bean. After that was finished I added honey, simple syrup, cognac and some strawberry syrup (I know it sounds crazy but I had a super taster testing it against real chambord and it tasted exactly like the real thing). I am going to make some more so I will write the recipe down this time and post it in the future. Although it will be a while since I will let it mellow for 6 months to a year. -D

• 12. Chris  |  July 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

Gotta say, I tried a similar trick using a quart of raspberries in a mason jar that I filled with grain alcohol (95%). I mushed the berries, and jiggled the jar so the grain filled in the air pockets. It took about 1/3 of the fifth of grain (250 ml) I put the jar in the pantry in a dark corner.

Luckily, I peeked in after a couple of days and saw a slight puddle. I got to it just in time, the sucker was fermenting away! I was just smart enough to take it to the sink before I cracked the lid, so it only sprayed me with dark purple juice, and not the entire pantry. Another day and that bad boy would have exploded.

I was sure the alcohol level was high enough, but the answer is…BE SURE the alcohol level is high enough! I ended up adding the entire fifth of grain, so I’m gonna have about 2 gallons of Chambordd by the time I finish up.

• 13. Sonja  |  July 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m starting to make a batch now using moonshine. Not sure how it will turn out…I was looking for everclear but couldn’t find that. I think I will start a batch using vodka too and compare them. I was wondering how much cognac too use?

• 14. Spiked Sweet Shoppe.com  |  November 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Hi all!! Our website is having a contest for home-made Chambord recipes, it ends November 13, 2013, and we’d love for you to enter your recipes to be featured on our site! http://spikedsweetshoppe.com/2013/11/02/contest-a-call-for-home-made-chambord-recipes/

• 15. artisan chocolates  |  July 31, 2014 at 12:36 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about chocolate molds wholesale.
    Regards